Sunday, March 11, 2012

Strawberries in Florida

Well it would be sad if I totally missed sharing a post with you on strawberries.  Being in Florida at this time of year means strawberries, Plant City strawberries too.  Why would I choose that area?  Well, my mom was born and raised in Plant City and her father actually farmed there as she and her siblings were growing up.  Of course like most of the other farmers there – he grew strawberries (among a variety of things).  My mom remembers having a break in school so that the families could work in the fields picking the berries. 

It is such a big deal for that area that they even have a Strawberry Festival – actually today was the last day of the fair. Even without the fair one can visit Parkesdale Farms for a variety of strawberry items.  I recommend the milkshake myself.

We love strawberries.  A favorite of my sister and her daughter is fresh strawberries with sweetened condensed milk drizzled over them.  My mom - she likes strawberry shortcake, but she prefers making hers with a yellow sheet cake instead of a biscuit.  Me - I like strawberry rhubarb pie. 

So I am in pursuit of a really good recipe for pie.  I'll share some of our favorite strawberry recipes with you throughout the month and I'll keep you posted on my search for the perfect strawberry rhubarb pie.

Photo Credit: ThinkStock
I'm not sure what fields are still open, but here is a website listing U-Pick strawberry fields.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...