Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


I think my love of Strawberry Rhubarb pie began about 15 years ago on a family trip to Maine.  It was a great trip, and can I tell you those ladies in Maine know how to make amazing pies.  As luck would have it many of them sold pies from there kitchen.  So as we drove through the various towns and saw "Homemade Pies For Sale" we stopped.

Interestingly enough just after I posted about the Plant City strawberries, my sister-in-law gave me a new cookbook, and sure enough - it had a recipe for a Strawberry Rhubarb pie.  I could hardly wait to try it out. Now this is different from the Strawberry Rhubarb pie of my memory, but I optimistically gave it a whirl.

















I think the pie turned out wonderful.  Better yet, it was very easy to make.

Here's the adapted recipe:

Stir together: 1 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 c flour, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 3 eggs - lightly beaten
Gently fold in 2 cups of sliced strawberries and 2 cups of chopped rhubarb.

Pour mixture into an uncooked pie shell
(You can use whatever pie crust you like.  I like Martha Stewart's Pie crust recipe, but I will admit with this I just used Pillsbury Pie Crust.)

For the top of the pie, mix together 1/2 c flour, 1/4 c sugar
Then cut in 1/3 c butter until crumbly

Sprinkle over top of pie.

Bake in the center of a 400 degree oven for 55 minutes.  Check crust at 30 minutes and cover if necessary.
Let cool at least 30 minutes before cutting to allow the pie to set up.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...