Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Crabcakes, my Favorite!

They really are! But I am pretty selective about them...I prefer the ones that are almost all crabmeat and if I had to select a style it would be the Maryland Crabcakes that I enjoy the most. For years I only ate them when we went out or traveling, but over the last few years I just make my own.
I have had a lot of trial and error because I couldn't find a recipe that tasted like I wanted it to. So finally after several recipes I decided it was time I tried to create my own. Which isn't really my own ~ I took the flavors and consistency I liked from various recipes and combined it into one.

Now I know there are two kinds of people out there...those who are thinking what took you so long, I never use a recipe and those who are thinking WHAT! ? No recipe. So I will say I narrowed it down to two recipes that I liked best. 

Inspiration...

Mine...










Ingredients

  • 1 large egg
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann's or Duke's
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup finely diced celery, from one stalk
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 Green Onions chopped (finely, not minced but small)
  • 1 small red pepper chopped (finely, not minced but small)
  • 1 pound lump crab meat 
  • 1/2 cup panko
  • Olive oil, for cooking

Instructions

  1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Combine the egg, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay, salt, celery, onion, red pepper, and parsley in a large bowl and mix well. Add the crab meat and panko; gently fold mixture together until just combined, being careful not to shred the crab meat. Shape into 6 crab cakes (I use an ice cream scoop - I get same size and they are sticky so this works nicely) and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (this is really important because the crab cakes are mostly crabmeat, not much filler to hold them together).
  3. Preheat a large nonstick pan to medium heat and coat with Olive oil (spray oil works too). When oil is hot, place crab cakes in pan and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. 

Serve immediately with tartar sauce, a squeeze of lemon, or my favorite Tabasco Sauce.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...