Friday, May 30, 2014

Day 1 - Cathage Jail

Carthage is just a short distance from Nauvoo. We decided to take the quick trip to visit the Carthage Jail, which is the site where Joseph Smith, Jr. was martyred, on the first day because we didn't want to miss visiting it.  I am so happy that we did.  I remember these places from my visit as a teenager - some more vividly than others.  This is one of those places.

My son; "it has a lot of history, but it is where the prophet was killed".

That's an overwhelming statement. I can only imagine the grief that the Saints felt at that time.  Today I feel immense gratitude for a young man who would not deny what he knew to be true, for the gospel he restored, and the willingness he had to be a true witness of my Savior, Jesus Christ.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...