Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Backyard Campout

As kids get older it's harder and harder to find fun birthday celebrations that aren't just crazy expensive.  This year we decided to have a Backyard Campout to celebrate my son's 13th birthday.  So I thought I would share a few photos.





The midnight snack included: trail mix, Pringles singles, Slim Jim, a Glow stick, and a small whoopee cushion.




Who doesn't love a s'more!

Luckily we have a pool so that was free entertainment. The boys arrived around 4:30 and stayed until 4:30 the next day.  At first I thought no big deal, but then I realized I would need to find a few things to fill the time.  I purchased Mess Kits at Wal-Mart and the boys used them to eat their Foil dinner in.  For those of you not familiar with what a foil dinner is - you use ground beef as a base and load sliced or cubed potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and the boys added cheese as well.  Wrap it up in heavy duty foil, then another layer of foil for extra protection.  Write the boys name on the outside and stick it on hot coals or in our case, the grill. That night we had a fire and roasted marshmallows to make s'mores.  Played a few rounds of Man Hunt and of course sat around the fire way to late.

Next day after breakfast and a quick swim, I sent the boys on a neighborhood scavenger hunt - this was pretty fun. Then we finished up the afternoon with a little bit of wii games.

Hope you enjoy the idea! Be sure to search it on pinterest as well - lots of cute ideas there.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...